After an evening of nurse visits and pumping and little bits of rest, I decided to take my milk on over to Noah. My nurse had offered to do it at 4:30 am, but I thought hmm, no, I can do that, thanks. I got a little jealous! Like, "that's my man." lol! So, yea, I got up, left Matt sleeping on the couch and snuck out to peek at my little man. Practically skipping and taking pic's along the way.
I walked down that dim lit halls, entered the dim nursery, dropped off my milk (thank you) and walked toward his little "ark". I took a peek at him aglo with his little glo worm (light therapy blanket). He was starting to move around a bit and wake up. I didn't want to leave but had in mind a "schedule" for me and my visits today with him. I enjoyed a few minutes observing and talking to him, then head out the door back to my room. I got back in bed, and just sat, looking at the clock, and realized he would be eating in 20 min. I was awake and really felt torn about just sitting there awake while he was going to get fed without me. So I call the NICU and verify that I can come over so "early" to get in on this feeding. Feeling like a new, proud mama, I hop out of bed and head back to my boy for a breakfast date.
I get there and wait for the nurse to get him and pass him to me and we get to snuggle and get him interested in feeding. He practices a little, but is pretty content to just snuggle. He has been eating more and is obviously acting pretty satisfied. We try anyway for a little bit. Then just hang out, skin to skin just the two of us. I realize it is the first time I have had alone time with him and savor every drop of it. It is so relaxing and almost ethereal of an experience. About 45 min later, he gets his feeding. He practices eating a little more as I am observing his signs and reactions. There is so much to learn about him, yet he is so recognizable. I bring him up and let him be upright on me. I love this because I can kiss his face and head. We have a "meeting" about the logistics of how I will get over to see him after tomorrow's anticipated discharge from the hospital and what this will require of me and my "team" to make that happen. We come up with some semblance of a plan and decide we will keep it ambitious but flexible. Meeting ajourned. We close our eyes and rest together. We wait for Matt to come in before he heads out for home for the morning. Sleeping, breathing in sync, ahhh. Matt arrives and kisses us both and heads out. I have been hungry for hours, and am ready to get back to the room for my breakfast and rest. I say my good bye's and give extra kisses. He doesn't fuss too much as he gets back into his warm snuggly bed. I get to leave, feeling like the happiest mom in the world. I float down the hall, arrive my room to breakfast in bed!! Life is good.
More pumping, a bit of rest, a surprise visit from friends who get to get in on our Noah visit and meet him in person. What timing for them! He got brought a "replacement" hat hand knit by our lovely friend since I wanted to see him in something other than his green and red one the NICU gave him. Yes, it is natural, I am into "esthetics".
We get to hang out and share Noah and enjoy another feeding and snuggle session, once the big boys, leave.
I head back to my room, eat lunch, pump and close my eyes.
I wake up to.. Olivia!! Matt has returned with my little lady and she is as chipper as ever. She just tromps on in and wants to kick it with mama. We do, I give her a fruit cup I saved for her, share water, talk about fire trucks and the clock among many other things she is talking about. What a girl.
They leave to do some grocery shopping. Ahh, tomorrow will be back at home and Matt is getting some staples back in the house.
I pump again, start blogging, get a few nurses visits, then an in room appointment from my Dentist. Yes, hey, I am running a business here! She is great, we chat and she checks my teeth and share how much of a support I have with the congregation, trying to give a little more insight on the huge "family" I have. Check. Dinner has arrived and another visit awaits me soon from friends.
I will get some rest after that, then another feeding and snuggle session with me and daddy. He will arrive for the 8 pm feeding while a wonderful friend house sits while Olivia is sleeping to allow him to come. Sigh. I feel so thankful.
Last night here!!
Noah updates: Doing great with feedings. He even took a few little drops of a bottle today since the nurses noticed he seemed eager to swallow. The nurses mentioned they thought he felt the experience of swallowing milk was pretty terrific and that he seemed to appear wow'ed by the event. His tummy handled the milk well and had no reactions after. Go Noah!! I have a feeling he is going to be nursing in full effect soon. He is increasing volume of food rapidly and steadily. His weight is stable and had a great gain overnight after a little, but normal, drop the day before.
Mom updates: Pain still fading. I keep saying a #1 on the 1-10 scale. Shower was much easier. I am feeling less like a rag doll and more like tin man. Feeling positive, balanced for the moment loved and happy.
xoxo







No comments:
Post a Comment